Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Shah Rukh Khan says strong scripts, not awards, attract him

Shah Rukh Khan, one of India's top movie stars, says he is lured by films with interesting plots -- not the promise of awards.

Khan said he has played bad roles and older characters during his prolific career, despite being warned it could dent his image as a poster boy for the teenage set.

``But I did it. I'm not scared,'' he was quoted as saying by Bombay's DNA newspaper on Monday.

``I just get up, listen to stories and scripts and choose the ones I really like and then go act them to the best of my ability. That's it,'' said Khan. ``I want to entertain, not ... do a film so that it can win an award.''

Khan, 39, has held on to his position as the country's most bankable star for several years and is often rated as Bollywood's top actor in polls by India's movie media.

He has starred as a macho action hero and romantic lead in more than 60 Indian movies since his 1992 debut. Khan's new releases over the next couple of months are to include ``Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna,'' or ``Never Say Goodbye,'' and ``Don.''

No comments: