Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Shah Rukh Khan wants to do it his own way

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan insists on doing his own thing as the host of the super-duper game show 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' than ape its illustrious former anchor mega superstar Amitabh Bachchan .

"With all humility, I will do it my way. Please allow me a chance to be me and respect me for that." This is what SRK had to say on being the chosen one to succeed Bachchan, while talking to the media in New Delhi.

Asked whether he would be able to match Bachchan in style and poise, rather "fit into his shoes," SRK said: "They are too big for me. I am too small for them."

But he was quick to add that it was the show's concept that made it so popular in as many as 106 countries. "Obviously, as time goes by, anchors change. I am not a permanent person, may be."

SRK said he will bring in his personality to the show but "maintain the beauty of Amitabh."

SRK, who has been signed on for two series or roughly 100 episodes for an undisclosed sum, is set to don the mantle of the quizmaster from January 2007.

"Shah Rukh is undoubtedly our reigning King of Indian cinema. His wit, charm, energy and style, coupled with the rock solid foundation of the show, will come together to give audiences an extraordinary TV viewing experience," Star Entertainment CEO Sameer Nair said.

Siddhartha Basu of Synergy Communication, the production house for the show, said SRK was "never the second choice to Bachchan but the next alternative."

Bachchan, for whom KBC served as the much-required catalyst to boost sagging professional fortunes in 2000, called it quits due to poor health and the TV network said it supported and respected his decision.

KBC will offer a mega prize money of Rs 2 crore to a contestant who answers 15 correct questions, and Star and Synergy said they add "some new things" to the format of the show in the new season with SRK.

Asked whether the re-entry into television would be at the cost of films, SRK said he was equally conscious to his career in cinema. "I do three films in a year and each film takes about 80-90 days. I still have a lot many days for this show," he said, adding: "I never went away from the small screen."

SRK said the "intelligence of the show" as well as its people-centric format were reasons that prompted him to take it up. "Through this, I can be interactive and will be able to meet people. I can come a lot closer to my audiences," he said, adding that he would make an effort to be a "loving friend" of the participants to make them comfortable.

SRK has had a sneak preview of KBC when he was invited as a guest on the show. Asked whether he would like to invite Bachchan to his show, he said: "I will go on bended knees to invite him."

Source: Apunkachoice

No comments: